Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Open Trade Post


With so much swirling around about the NBA trading deadline, I think maybe it's best to just keep a running dialogue here.

Some thoughts:

*I think the Knicks are going to land McGrady, AND shed Jeffries' contract. But I'm not sure they can beat out the Bulls in this competition without giving up their 2012 pick. Is it the right move? If they get a one of the top three free agents this summer--Wade, Carmelo, or LeBron--then yes. Even if they don't land a second max contract, I think they can use their free money to reconstitute an effective team around their go-to guy. If they get burned this summer, though, YIKES. They'll have to spend money just to fill out a lineup card every night. And being without a #1 pick until 2013 is not good.

*This business about Nate Robinson coming to the Celtics. It may happen, but I don't like it. I know he has energy and isn't expensive, but I have never liked Robinson, either for his attitude or his style of play. This is a team that needs to play good defense and work together, and while it's possible that Robinson will stir things up in a good way, I don't want to feel depressed every time he jacks up a 35-footer just because he can. Win or lose, I just don't like the way he plays.

*For whatever it's worth, I think the Cavs should sit tight rather than trade for Jamison.

MILES:

Thanks for creating a new post. The other one was getting unwieldy.

As for the Knicks, if Walsh can protect the 2012 pick, I'm 100 percent behind the move. If he can't, I'm 95 percent behind it. His plan has always been to free up enough cap space to go hard after free agents this summer. If he unloads Jeffries, well, mission accomplished, Jordan Hill be damned. It's nice to see Walsh double down on his ability to land the league's biggest names.

Even if he fails to sign two max free agents, or even one, he can still field a competitive team, one that is far superior than this current Knicks bunch. It really is an impressive list of talent. To wit: Luke Ridnour, Marcus Camby and Udonis Haslem would work well with Douglas, Chandler and Gallo. Although it's far, far from ideal, I don't see anything wrong with having a ton of cap space moving forward, even at the expense of future picks. Being over the cap was basically the root of the organization's problems, dating all the way back to the Ewing trade. Having to trade dollar-for-dollar really limits a team's ability to improve. Walsh understands this. I trust him to sign the right players at the right price. He's not Isiah.

I'm happy to see Nate go, if the rumored trade does in fact go through, as expected. He's going to drive you crazy, and will probably single-handedly cost Boston about as many games as he wins them. But if the price is only House and a 2nd round pick, it's worth Ainge taking a shot.

The Cavs should stand pat. I think Danny Ferry is freaking out about LeBron leaving.

By the way, if Steve Kerr trades Stoudemire for J.J. Hickson, Z's expiring contract and a pick, he deserves to get fired.

For the record, Carmelo is not a free agent this summer.

I don't know what to make of this update via Chris Sheridan:
Lots of info and misinformation out there regarding the potential Nate Robinson-to-Boston trade. I have been told there are many moving parts, with some of the principals mentioned as coming to New York including Marquis Daniels, Bill Walker, J.R. Giddens and possibly Eddie House. Robinson's base-year compensation status is a complicating factor, but not insurmountable.
I don't know, just doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle for either team.


BEN:

Agreed. It makes me wonder if there is a third team, or some other contingency lurking. That being said, if Donnie Walsh wants to give up Nate Robinson for Bill Walker instead of Eddie House, more power to him.

I continue to be confused by the faith everyone has in J.R. Giddens. Say what you want about Nate Robinson (and I will), at least he's proven he can score.

MILES:

Is the Cavs' acquisition of Jamison good for the Knicks? Not so much. The Cavs are, by most objective standards, now the odds-on favorite to win the East, possibly the NBA championship. Which would mean LeBron is more likely than ever to stick around next year, instead of jumping ship to New York. Danny Ferry, not surprisingly, out-maneuvered Steve Kerr and Ernie Grunfield to land the one player in the league that best complemented LeBron and his Cavs, demonstrating to his star asset that he's willing to surround him with talent, while cutting no expense in trying to win a title. Basically, everything I was afraid Ferry would do between now and July 1.

It's now up to LeBron to decide where he wants to play next season. Ferry's officially off the hook. Well played, sir.

Also, Darko for Brian Cardinal. Walsh just saved the Dolans $2 million this year. Another job, well, done.


BEN:

Seems like some shit is gonna go down today. I agree with you that Jamison helps Ferry make his case, but look--if LeBron wants to be in a major media market, the Knicks are his chance. The pressure is now on Walsh to put together a team that could legitimately win if LeBron makes the move. If the Knicks move Jeffries today and bring in McGrady--which I think they will--then they'll be in great position this summer. All they have to do is assemble quality pieces, and it seems like, for the first time in 15 years, there is someone with a brain making decisions in their front offices. But a lot is going to come down to what's in LeBron's head, and that's something we may not know even after his next contract is signed.

I think Dwyane Wade would come to New York in a heartbeat, though.

It doesn't sound like the Celtics are going to get their man today. In general, I respect Danny Ainge's talents as a GM, but he still makes me anxious. Ray Allen's expiring contract is at the absolute peak of its value right now. I'm not saying they have to make a deal for him--and I love Ray Allen and would be sad to see him leave--but for a team that was always known to have a brief window to compete in, they better damn well have a plan this summer other than re-signing their aging veterans.

I really hope Darko gets some good minutes with the T'Wolves. I really think he might be the worst draft pick ever. Say what you want about Sam Bowie, at least he never threatened to move to Europe.

1 comment:

  1. Just got my check for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can make by taking paid surveys online...

    So I took a video of myself getting paid over $500 for participating in paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.

    ReplyDelete