Friday, January 8, 2010

Playoff Predictions, Take Two

Last month's predictions didn't exactly bear out. Still, I'm willing to give it another try, if only to make a semi-closing statement about the Jets, whose up-and-down-and-up season somehow continues, almost in spite of themselves.  

(Home teams are in CAPS.)

Wild Card weekend

Jets over BENGALS

I understand the Jets are not the favorites to win the Super Bowl, no matter what our zaftig, possibly manic head coach seems to think. One playoff win, though, isn't asking too much of him and his crew. 

I like this Jets defense, and I respect the team's offensive line, which should give Thomas Jones, Shon Greene and, yes, Brad Smith just enough room to run against Cincinnati's defense. A strong showing on the ground will, of course, take the pressure off Mark Sanchez, and open up the possibility of some nice play-action passes for the turnover-prone rookie. As long as he throws it to the guy with the GREEN helmet, he should have a pretty good day. 

Although tomorrow's contest won't be anywhere near as easy as last week's 37-point romp against the Bengals, I think the Jets will, against all odds, find a way to pull one out on the road, a tremendous first step for a team on the rise.

Jets 20 Bengals 13

PATRIOTS over Ravens

The Pats are almost impossible to beat in Foxboro, even sans Welker. You have no idea how badly I want to pick the Ravens. I just don't see it happening. This one ain't going to be pretty, but the Pats should advance into the second round behind Brady and Moss. 

Pats 27 Ravens 23

COWBOYS over Eagles

This one is going to come back and bite me. Maybe the Eagles pulled back a little bit last week. Maybe the Cowboys are going to fall apart when it matters most--again. Maybe the Eagles have a long postseason run in them. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I still like the way Dallas has looked the past couple of weeks, and Romo is bound to get out of the first round eventually, right? This should be the year. Eat your heart out, Joe Simpson. 

Cowboys 34 Eagles 17

Packers over CARDINALS

Aaron Rodgers seems to have this quarterbacking thing down. Provided, of course, he can stay off his back. In the Packers' first eight games, Rodgers was sacked 37 times. Since then, his protection has yielded only 13 sacks. If they can continue to  keep Rodgers upright, I love Green Bay's chances of knocking off the defending (and considerably banged up) NFC champions and, eventually, representing the conference in this year's Super Bowl. 

Packers 37 Cardinals 27


BEN:

I'm pressed for time, but let me get my picks out there and I'll do my best to flesh out the thinking behind them before the games get started.

BENGALS over Jets
PATRIOTS over Ravens
Eagles over COWBOYS
Packers over CARDINALS

I may live to regret this Eagles pick, but then again I may live to regret all these picks. It's a pretty wide open field out there, all postseason long. I just hope someone knocks off the Chargers, who have it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment