Sunday, April 25, 2010

Yankees I Hate #22: Curtis Granderson



One of the better-rounded outfielders in the American League, Granderson came to New York on the heels of a very successful run with the Tigers. His 2007 season saw him crack the apparently-a-thing "20-20-20 club," reserved for ballplayers who have managed 20 triples, 20 homers, and 20 steals in a single season. He continued to hit for average until 2009, when he sacrificed contact for power, hitting 30 homers and becoming an all-star despite hitting under .250. I wish I could say that the Yankees gave him a fat contract to lure him away from Detroit, but the fact is he came by what looks to me like a pretty shrewd trade: the Yankees parting with various useful players, but no one that would've defined the team; and they brought in a guy who is going to be a thorn in my side for what looks like a long time. Granderson has the speed and on-base ability to bat leadoff, and gives them yet another player (I count eight) capable of hitting 20+ homers on a regular basis, especially in that launching pad of a stadium. As you can imagine, this is incredibly annoying.

Reasons to like him:
Granderson is a unique situation. Nothing would make me happier than to hate him, but it's really hard. He's outwardly affable, has never made any trouble, contributes to his team. He is an ambassador for MLB international, representing the game in far-flung locations like China and South Africa. He created a foundation, Grand Kids, that does outreach to inner city children and helps get troubled kids into school. Bud Selig wrote a letter to Granderson, thanking him for being a model citizen and saying "no one is better suited to represent our national pastime."

You can see my dilemma here. This is more or less unverifiable, but I also remember watching a telecast a few years ago when one of the announcers claimed that Jim Leyland, Granderson's then-manager with the Tigers, wanted him to marry his daughter.

Etc.

Reasons to hate him:

Well, he's talented, and plays for the Yankees. What do you want me to say? I have to be allowed to root against him in important situations. Plus I'm vexed that I can't hate him more.

The worst thing I can dig up is that he changed his uniform number, 28, to 14 so that Joe Girardi could start wearing it. The reason being that Girardi wants to symbolize the Yankees' pursuit of a 28th championship. Come on, that's really lame. No, it is.

I can hear you objecting that it wasn't his idea, and this shows a team-first mentality. But it's still lame.

Overall hate rating:

2 out of 10. I reserve the right to increase this if he does anything that really ruins the Red Sox' hopes, which seems all too possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment